skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Canning pumpkin
Have any of you ever had a "been there, done that" experience? Well, I am going to document mine! Before I start explaining my delightful learning experience - I need to extend my heartfelt thanks to Mom and Brittany for the helpful hints along my adventure. The tale begins with two large pumpkins - gutted but not carved. It is November 1st and I have made the executive decision to not carve them, but can them. Below you see the remaining cooked pieces.
Ahhh, we now proceed to the blending process . . . in which I find out that I am NOT in possession of the preferred equipment. A lesson learned in the importance of proper consistancy.
Along the way, I had the clever idea to freeze it in one cup portions to facilitate later thawing for individual recipes. As you can see, I used a variety of "one-cup" tools. Note, for those tempted to try this, there is some difficulty in removing the frozen pumpkin from containers without melting too much of the outside. This is also a good time to mention, again, the importance of "proper equipment". :-)
Beautiful, isn't it?
So this is the pretty version of the final result. A learning experience to be sure. My final comment is a repeat of the first - been there, done that!
8 comments:
WOW! That is a LOT of pumpkin. I have to laugh a little at all the used dishes in the sink. That's about par for my kitchen adventures as well. (Would it kill me to invest in some cheap disposable tupperware??)
Very nice final product! Did you feed any to Morgan before you froze it? I bet she loved it. I haven't ever fed pumpkin to Case but I bet he would gobble that right down! Funny story...the clean up is always the worse.
Well the final product looks good.
I feel for you! I have had many such "adventures". Isn't funny how we try to be domestic and frugal and it usually ends up with a funny story to tell every one!!
Wow... way to go. Looks and sounds like a lot of work! I wouldn't mind partaking of your yummy work. I would let you make me something yummy with that ANY day!!! :)
I'm impressed!
I tried to make pumpkin puree also. I only did one smaller pumpkin and it is in the freezer still unused. I think your turned out better than mine. It was definitely a lot of work and it will have to taste a lot better than canned pumpkin for me to do it again. Way to go.
I LOVE canned pumpkin and so do my babies. We're coming over for pie later! j/k Way to go :)
Post a Comment